To be eligible for the PSLSA, an individual must:
- Be an undergraduate, graduate, or professional student enrolled at the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities for at least one semester between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2022.
- Have minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA as of Spring 2023
- Be nominated by a University student, staff, or faculty member by Thursday, February 9, 2023 at 5:00pm.
- Submit a student addendum by Thursday, February 23, 2023. at 5:00pm.
Students must be nominated by University of Minnesota students, staff, or faculty before 5:00pm on Thursday, February 9, 2023.
Upon submission of a nomination, nominees are immediately notified to submit the student addendum form. Nominees are provided instructions on how to complete the addendum. The addendum form is due before 5:00pm on Thursday, February 23, 2023.
The PSLSA nomination asks for identifying information on the nominator and the nominee, and for one 250-word essay that addresses the following:
Please describe the nominee's leadership strengths, accomplishments, and contributions to the University community in relation to 1 - 3 of the University of Minnesota Student Development Outcomes.
The nomination essay should include details regarding the student's leadership strengths, accomplishments, and contributions to the University and greater community in relation to up to three Student Development Outcomes (see below).
The nomination essay should provide clear examples of ways that the student demonstrated leadership. Activities mentioned in the essays must take place between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2022. If referring to contributions that are required as part of a nominee’s employment, please explain their effort beyond the expected duties of the position.
STUDENT DEVELOPMENT OUTCOMES
The Student Development Outcomes were created to describe the critical elements of the student experience and to assist students in becoming lifelong learners and engaged citizens after they leave the University
STUDENT ADDENDUM INSTRUCTIONS
After a nomination essay is submitted, the nominee is immediately notified to complete the student addendum form. Nominees are provided instructions how to complete the student addendum. Student addendum forms are due by 5:00pm on February 23, 2023.
The student addendum has three parts:
- Part 1 is information about nominees' academic standing at the University of Minnesota, such as college of enrollment, cumulative GPA, and expected graduation.
- Part 2 is information about leadership and service experiences nominees had between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2022.
- Part 3 is a series of essays asking nominees to showcase their growth as a leader, the impact of a meaningful service-oriented experience, and how they advance the University’s mission through public engagement.
Throughout the addendum, nominees are asked to frame their responses in the context of certain definitions of leadership and service, and several leadership competencies.
To be awarded the PSLSA, nominees must…
- Have been enrolled in an undergraduate, graduate, or professional degree program for at least one semester between January 1 and December 31, 2022;
- Obtain at least 2.5 cumulative GPA (or “Passed” for some programs) as of Spring 2023;
- Exemplify leadership competencies, as chosen by the nominee, through their actions and behaviors;
- Demonstrate exemplary leadership in the University community;
- Demonstrate exemplary service that contributes to lasting change within the University community; and
- Contribute to the University’s public mission through their leadership and service.
A selection committee of University students, staff, and faculty determines if a nominee satisfies the six selection criteria. The committee engages in holistic discussions about each nomination to select award recipients based on how the nominee satisfies the selection criteria.
The selection committee makes their decision in early-April. Nominees will be notified about their award status following the selection committee's decision.