To be eligible for the PSLSA, an individual must:
- Be an undergraduate, graduate, or professional student enrolled at the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities for at least one semester between January 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021.
- Have minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA as of Spring 2022
- Be nominated by a University student, staff, or faculty member between January 18, 2022 and February 14, 2022 at 5:00pm.
- Submit a student addendum by Monday, February 21, 2022 at 5:00pm.
Students must be nominated by University of Minnesota students, staff, or faculty before 5:00pm on Monday, February 14, 2022.
Upon submission of a nomination, nominees are immediately notified to submit the student addendum form. Nominees are provided instructions on how to complete the addendum. The addendum form is due before 5:00pm on Monday, February 21, 2022.
The PSLSA nomination asks for identifying information on the nominator and the nominee, and for one 250-word essay that addresses the following:
Please describe the nominee's leadership strengths, accomplishments, and contributions to the University community in relation to 1 - 3 of the University of Minnesota Student Development Outcomes.
The nomination essay should include details regarding the student's leadership strengths, accomplishments, and contributions to the University and greater community in relation to up to three Student Development Outcomes (see below).
The nomination essay should provide clear examples of ways that the student demonstrated leadership. Activities mentioned in the essays must take place between January 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021. If referring to contributions that are required as part of a nominee’s employment, please explain their effort beyond the expected duties of the position.
Student Development Outcomes
The Student Development Outcomes were created to describe the critical elements of the student experience and to assist students in becoming lifelong learners and engaged citizens after they leave the University.
- Responsibility and Accountability: Making appropriate decisions on behavior and accepting the consequences of one’s actions.
- Independence and Interdependence: Knowing when to collaborate or seek help and when to act independently.
- Goal Orientation: Managing one’s energy and attention to achieve specific outcomes.
- Self Awareness: Knowing one’s personal strengths and talents and acknowledging one’s shortcomings.
- Resilience: Recovering and learning from setbacks or disappointments
- Appreciation of Differences: Recognizing the value of interacting with individuals with backgrounds or perspectives different from one’s own.
- Tolerance of Ambiguity: Demonstrating the ability to perform in complicated environments where clear-cut answers or standard operating procedures are absent.
Student Addendum Instructions
After a nomination essay is submitted, the nominee is immediately notified to complete the student addendum form. Nominees are provided instructions how to complete the student addendum. Student addendum forms are due by 5:00pm on February 21, 2022.
The student addendum has three parts:
- Part 1 is information about nominees' academic standing at the University of Minnesota, such as college of enrollment, cumulative GPA, and expected graduation.
- Part 2 is information about leadership and service experiences nominees had between January 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021.
- Part 3 is a series of essays asking nominees to showcase their growth as a leader, the impact of a meaningful service-oriented experience, and how they advance the University’s mission through public engagement.
Throughout the addendum, nominees are asked to frame their responses in the context of certain definitions of leadership and service, and several leadership competencies.